After reading the below article and to get started click on the links in the headings.
As a novice to Twitter, my impression of it was a "teenage like message centre". However, having spent some time researching and working it, I have to say it is truly amazing. I am in awe of the information that is shared by the Twitter community and the relevance that people who are serious about their business apply to it. If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of wasted time. In an attempt to save novice tweeters from the same fate I have set out, what I call a "Master Class" or flying start to Twitter. I have no doubt that the experts out there would have much to add, but this will give you a quick start and as you go you should educate yourself on the full content that each of the recommended disciplines has to offer:
- Know what you want from Twitter
- Write a Twitter strategy
- Identify 20/30 key people,associations,news feeds to follow
- Follow back those that follow you (particularly at the initial stage)
- Un-follow those that don't follow you if you feel they don't add value
- Send a direct message to each follower - including your web/blog or special message
- Schedule your tweets (Hootsuite/Tweetdeck/SocialOomph) to be sent throughout the day
- Acknowledge retweets, mentions, direct messages
- Retweet those tweets that will have value to your followers
- Ensure that you share something original, of intrinsic value to your followers
- Try to keep your tweets to 120 characters, easier for others to retweet
- Use it for information and education
- Embrace humour and have some fun with it
- Be careful it can be addictive!
- Bore your followers to death by constantly tweeting the same message
- Follow just anybody for the sake of following
- Constantly try to sell
- Be negative, rude or derogatory
- Retweet others' messages unless you have clicked on the link to check it out for yourself
- Forget -this is also part of your image/brand
- Don't follow and unfollow too many people at once, Twitter has built in limits (50-follow and unfollow in one day)
A website, owned and operated by Twitter Inc.,
which offers a social networking and micro-blogging service.
A Social Media Dashboard. It provides a website and online brand management service, which publishes to websites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Foursquare.
Lets you un-follow twitter users who do not follow you.
Is a utility that allows users to shorten a long URL,
share it, and then track the resulting usage.
It also lets you follow twitter users who follow you. It also provides stats.
Klout identifies influencers on topics across the social web and gives you a personal score.
Find out which of your Twitter updates made people follow or leave you. This is a great monitoring tool especially in the beginning when you are trying to develop your theme and strategy.
Socialoomph allows you to set up an automated message to automatically follow new followers and acknowledge them. There is a host of statistical and other information available on here. I use it particularly for the automated DM. (direct message for my new followers)
Tweepi is a simple collection of Twitter tools: Geeky Follow, Flush, Reciprocate and Cleanup. I use it to select followers or friends of somebody I consider of value - you can set up a dashboard of criteria such as Klout score, location, followers, friends, tweets, etc. You can also use this to "unfollow" people who don't follow you and many other features.
Twellow is a directory of public Twitter accounts, with hundreds of categories and search features to help you find people who matter to you. I use it to find people locally and also for specific industries. It's like the yellow pages of Twitter. It is very important to list your business here. It's free.
Organizes links shared on Twitter into an easy to
read newspaper-style format. Newspapers can be
created for any Twitter user, list or #tag.
Takes your Twitter followers' profile photos and
puts them on your Twitter background.
Is a free service that fetches Twitter replies for
you (and gives you an easy way to view AND export them).
Easiest way to archive a Twitter response thread
Helps you grow a larger, more diverse, and more
valuable network on Twitter.
Say "Hello" To Your Followers With a Video
This is an amazing site for Twitter apps. Many of which are not necessary for you but good to know about.
This is a very powerful search tool for companies - globally or locally